Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Cat who stole my time


I opened my eyes one morning. 'Hmmm, still sleepy, should I go back to sleep one more time. If mommy comes I'll ask her to let me sleep for JUST 2 more minutes.' Again I drifted off to sleep. Two minutes later(I'm sure it was 2 minutes) my eyes opened again and through the gap in the window shades I could see it was light outside. Better get up and brush. I love the smell of toothpaste. At times I wonder why food can't smell like tooth paste. Mom laughs at me when I say this. Well, she can laugh all she wants. I get some on my brush and it smells of strawberries and mint and something else, it is so good. Dad says I can't eat it at all. I don't eat toothpaste, not much anyway:-). It makes me feel all minty when I burp and my eyes water a bit. I finished brushing and found my way to the dining table.


Without much effort I climbed on to the dining chair. If I sit straight with my legs folded under me, my chin reaches well above the table. Dad says I need to use the baby chair. But then think of how I will feel if my friends walk in and see me sitting on a baby chair.

My mom walks by and asks, 'oh you are up. Are you hungry?'.

I look at her, nod my head and said, 'I brushed'.

'Good, I will get you something.'

Again I nod my head.

Mom comes back with a glass of milk and some yellow batter fried bananas. I was expecting Idly and sambar for breakfast. I press my lips together and look up at my mom without really raising my head, the 'serious look' I practised before the mirror yesterday or 'was it today?'. Mom smiles and with her eyes asks what is wrong.

The bananas smell heavenly, way better than Idly and sambar, mom seems to have put some ghee on top. With a shake of my head I told her that nothing is wrong and takes a quick bite from the banana. The smell of ghee fills my mouth and it feels great when my teeth breaks through the crispy batter outside and reach the sweet, soft banana inside. The batter on the cold ones are a little squishy and rubbery but tastes great.  I worked through the rest of them real quick except for one bite and sat savouring the taste left behind.

Is that all I'm getting for breakfast? I look up expectantly at my mom.

She asks " Still hungry".

Well! not really, but generally I have something more for breakfast.

Mom stands there, looking at me while I decide whether I'm hungry or not. I close both my eyes and says no. My mom glances towards the full glass of milk and with a hint of smile on her face, raises her brows. How can she smile and at the same time look serious. I must practise that look. I reluctantly reaches towards the glass. 'The Complete food' smells like 'The complete ugh' no matter how much vanilla or chocolate mom adds in it.

I pinch my nose, take a sip and I can feel the taste of vanilla with that cloying richness of milk underneath. I struggle through the rest of the glass. I know that mom won't let me get off the chair without finishing the glass. Once finished I quickly eat the last bit of banana to get the 'milk taste' off my mouth.

I climbed off the chair with much lesser effort than yesterday. Dad must be telling the truth, the beans and chicken does have an effect, I seem to have grown overnight.

I washed my hands and face and asked my mom, ' Mom, can I go out with Arun for cycling."

"Yes, why not? I too will come out for a walk with you."

"Ok"

But then mom rarely goes for walk in the morning.

I stepped out of the house with my cycle. My dad had removed the supporting wheels last week and I have learnt to ride on my own over the week. Now I can't wait to show it off to Arun and my other friends. At the end of the drive way I noticed a tom cat dull grey and white in color walking with a lazy swagger. Some thing about cats have always amazed me. They never seem to hurry. They will sit in one place stare at you then lick and scratch themselves all over, stare at you some more, stretch, yawn and then stare at you again. Do they not have any homework or dance classes?  My friend Diya keeps saying that cats steal time from children. Last week a cat stole Diya's whole morning. I think she is lying. How can a cat steal time?

Oh I need to be at Diya's home today afternoon to play snake and ladder. I have promised her to be there. I checked out the expression on mom's face. She seems happy enough.

Mustering my courage and trying to sound as normal as possible I asked : "Mom, can I go to Diya's house today afternoon?"

All of a sudden my mom laughed out loud and said : " Sweetie, it is already evening."

I was taken aback. Where did my morning and afternoon go. I just woke up brushed and had my breakfast. How come it is already evening.

Then I saw the tom cat looking at me with that look of triumph on its face. That is when I realised that Diya was telling the truth. The cat has indeed stolen my time. I decided to get my time back and walked briskly towards the cat with the most serious expression I have practised. Just when I was about to ask, the cat jumped on to the boundary wall, glanced at me with casual indifference, arched is back and disappeared on to the other side. I was left on the drive way fuming.






No comments:

Post a Comment